Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dunta

     Well, in this post I will talk about Dunta and its other inhabitants. The Okoda share a continent with a whole other group of humans who call themselves the Pazha Shosat (PAH-zha SHOH-saht) meaning literally “the people” or “the place of people.” (For the time being I will use cardinal directions until I explain the Dunta way of navigation.) Just West of the Okoda live the Wamali Shes (Wah-MAH-lee SHES) by their own name meaning “the people.” Even further to the west live the Yan Hile (YAHN HEE-lah) whose name I’ve lost the definition for. And to the west of the Okoda live the Potsa (POHTS-ah) which in their tongue means “the life.”
     Each of these five main countries have their own religion and language all of which are very different. I have begun each of these languages, but have gone the farthest with Dega. Dega is the first conlang I have begun making (not including the code I made when I was young that I foolishly thought was a language and the bad interpretation of Latin that the Yon Hēlā’s language comes from), and is probably the least original, and every time I work on it seems more and more like another romance language. I will definitely continue Dega, but I think I may put more effort into one of the four other languages (I have given up on the language of Yan Hile, as it just looks like a bad interpretation of Latin, but there is another language that they use for religious purposes: “ghumlezh”) which I will probably work harder on later as Dega’s holes are filled up, but I don’t know which is worth more work. If you would care to give input I would gladly except it, I will describe the grammars and peculiarities of the other three languages down below.
     The Pazha Shosat are a tribal people speaking a language with only four verbs. They are simple, living in the woods they often frighten the more “civilized” Okoda.
     The Wamali Shes have a smooth language of many glides (r, l, y, w,), nasals (n, m) and fricatives (s, sh, þ) that widely contradicts their reputation of an angry warring people. I thought it would be interesting to have a people who were very aggressive to outsiders, but had a pretty tongue and were especially nice to their fellow Wamali Shes.
    The Yan Hile have a language based very much on Latin which has a large vocabulary, but has many large holes in the grammar and is not very interesting except for the alphabet. The Yan Hile have a very shamanic natural religion, which uses its own language and a pictographic code to represent the things needed for different rituals.
     The Potsa Úlan have a pictographic writing system for their language where each word has a god/dess (the gods/goddesses are neuter: neither masculine nor feminine) to represent the word.

Here is a map of the Dunta world:
The Okoda live on the mid-eastern region of the central "L" shaped continent.


Some words to learn:
Madi - North-Western eighth of the common Dunta world map
Kama - South-Western eighth of the common Dunta world map
Lazi - Central-North-Western eighth of the common Dunta world map
Mista - Central-South-Western eighth of the common Dunta world map
Rizi - Central-North-Eastern eighth of the common Dunta world map
Data - Central-South-Eastern eighth of the common Dunta world map
Gini - North-Eastern eighth of the common Dunta world map
Tora - South-Eastern eighth of the common Dunta world map
Sadra - here/where I am now/this current place
NOTE: the directions are used to describe where in the world something is then where in the eighth of the world and where in the eighth of the eighth of the world and so on.
 
The new languages:
Sazh - Pazha Shosat - A language with only four verbs that uses nouns to make others verbs It uses an alphabet that is always a cursive script one letter connecting to the next.

Chali Shes - Wamali Shes - A language with almost no second person and no plural except with articles.

Ghumlezh - Yan Hile - A language which uses vowel changes and tones in the middles of words for grammar and three consonants for roots of words to represent a verb, a couple nouns, an adjective and an adverb.

Úlan Sel - Úlan Potsa - A language which uses particles to conjugate verbs and decline nouns. The writing system is pictographic and very artful.

Tell me which one sounds the most interesting in the comments choose one of the new ones or if I should continue hard on Dega. I don’t know what to do so please tell me what you think. Thank you! 
(If you want more information about one of the languages feel free to ask me and I will probably answer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment